By Lyre's Spirit Co
15th Jul 2022
A guide to non-alcoholic vegan mocktails
An increasing number of people are adopting vegan lifestyles; sometimes it's for cultural or health reasons, other times it's to protect animals against exploitation and to live a greener life. Whatever the reason, choosing a vegan lifestyle has many benefits, but it can also be challenging to know which menu items are vegan-friendly – particularly when it comes to drinks. If finding vegan drinks (especially the non-alcoholic vegan drink variety) has proven challenging or you’re not sure if it’s for you, we’ve got you covered. Keep reading to learn about ingredients to steer clear of, the main benefits of veganism, and three of the best vegan mocktails to try this weekend.
What drinks are vegan?
A vegan drink is considered vegan if it contains zero ingredients (and manufacturing methods) derived from animals. Many companies will proudly sport the vegan trademark if their drink is vegan-friendly, so to keep things simple, look out for this when buying a drink! If you're unsure, check the ingredients list for obvious or hidden ingredients that come from animals. Ingredients to look out for include:
- Milk-based products
- Gelatin (often found in orange-coloured soft drinks)
- Carmine or Cochineal (a red food colouring derived from a species of insect)
- Fish products (this might be shown as Omega-3)
Additionally, you'll need to consider how a drink is manufactured and distilled. Some drinks (such as pulpless juice and some beers and wines) are clarified using animal products (like Isinglass). For these drinks, it's best to check for a vegan trademark or contact the manufacturer if you're unsure.
At Lyre's, we're proudly vegan; the beloved social animals depicted on our labels are the only animals we use. We use all-natural, plant-derived essences, extracts and distillates to deliver the renowned bouquet and flavour in our exquisite range of lovingly crafted non-alcoholic vegan drinks.
Benefits of vegan drinks
For the animals
Preventing animal exploitation and cruelty is one of the primary reasons for choosing a vegan diet. As a vegan, you likely have immense compassion for animals and a belief that all creatures, no matter how small, have a right to live their life. Avoiding the use and consumption of animal products is one of the most significant ways you can stand up against animal cruelty and exploitation, with this being a substantial benefit of choosing non-alcoholic vegan drinks.
For your health
Choosing vegan drinks (particularly non-alcoholic vegan drinks) has been shown to offer several positive health benefits. Research indicates that vegan drinks and diets can lower cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as minimise rates of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer. Additionally, it's a great way to learn more about nutrition and its role on health. Learning new recipes for vegan-friendly meals and vegan mocktails can improve your overall diet and encourage healthy eating and drinking habits.
For the environment
One of the most successful ways an individual can live a greener lifestyle is to avoid all animal products. Research shows that the consumption of animal products is fueling the climate crisis, while vegan diets that focus on grains, vegetables, fruits and beans help to protect the planet.
Non-alcoholic vegan drinks to dry
Lyre's Blackberry Smash
This seriously good vegan mocktail is loaded with fresh blackberries, fragrant mint and American Malt; it's officially the perfect way for a whiskey lover to loosen up after a long day!
- 2 parts (60mL) Lyre's American Malt
- ½ part (15mL) white sugar syrup (1:1)
- ½ part (15mL) lime juice
- 4 blackberries
- 8 mint leaves
- Muddle blackberries and mint with sugar syrup in a shaker
- Add all ingredients and shake with ice
- Strain into an Old Fashioned glass over fresh ice
- Garnish with a plump mint sprig and a blackberry on a skewer
Lyre's Rob Roy
Fancy and fantastic, the Rob Roy is where the Highlands meets Manhatten. Created in 1894 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York to appease the Mad Men and society women – now it's without the mad and loved by whiskey connoisseurs worldwide.
- 2 parts (60mL) Lyre's Highland Malt
- 1 part (30mL) Lyre's Aperitif Rosso
- 2-4 dashes of aromatic bitters
- A maraschino cherry or lemon disk to garnish
- Stir all ingredients briefly over ice in a mixing glass
- Fine strain into a cocktail coupette
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry or zesty lemon disk (oils expressed)
Lyre's Lyrebird Handle
Fragrant chamomile and pine notes unite with rhubarb and licorice elements for a libation that says, "I'm your huckleberry." As an ode to the Lyrebird, this one’s truly one of the best vegan mocktails in existence.
- 45mL Lyre's Agave Blanco Spirit
- 15mL Lyre's Italian Spritz
- 30mL of premium almond syrup
- Tajin or Mexican spice seasoning to garnish
- Add ingredients into a shaker and shake briefly with ice
- Strain into a small stemless wine or tulip glass
- Garnish with tajin or Mexican spice seasoning